Wednesday, April 11, 2007

uncle jims letter

this is a letter my uncle wrote to me about his experience in the peace corps in sierra leone in the 70's. it is the best explanation of the inexplicable; the peace corps experience

Date: 04-11-2007


Andrew,

Your Mom suggested I write you a few lines. I guess your Mom thought I might have some special insight to offer. I’m not so sure I do. Fact of the matter is, although I had a similar experience to what you are having right now, my experiences were a long time ago. Beyond that I’m sure your situation now is quite a bit different than mine was then. I’ll try to sort out how your experience may be different than mine and how it may be alike, with some guessing on my part. (Some of what I’m about to relate may not sit well with your mother, but here goes).

First off, given your away from home experiences I think it likely that home sickness and culture shock won’t be as problematic for you as they were for me and as they may be for some of your PC Volunteer compatriots. Beyond that I’m sure that what ever happens you know that you have two parents (not to mention other relatives) who love you very much. You have a home to go back to.

There is no shame in not going the distance, but if you can make it
through the first year it gets much easier. I remember that the first year was very difficult, for a while what got me through was going to sleep and dreaming of home. Take it minute by minute, a day at a time, but take the long view. I would recommend not going back home at mid-tour, it may be too difficult to go back.

It wasn’t the bugs or the snakes or the political trouble that made
it tough, it was not knowing whether I was doing a good job or not.
Based on what I know of you and where you come from, you will if you only do your best. After you get through training, if what you are doing as a primary job doesn’t allow you to see that you are accomplishing something, take on a secondary project that does, possibly something that you enjoy more.

What comes next is hard to explain. If you can make it through your
experience will form a hard knot inside of you, something which will probably color the rest of your life. Maybe its pride, a better sense of perspective, or just that part of you that got you over there in the first place, I’m not sure what, but it will make the good times that much better and will help get you through the tough time for the same reasons.

I think they probably teach you this, but don’t expect that progress
will be measured in meters. Be happy with millimeters. Also, don’t
get bummed if it seems that your efforts are not appreciated, that may come later, if it comes at all. Just do your best.

Please, please, please be careful. Some volunteers never make it home again. (e.g., If they give you a motor bike, wear the friggin helmet, if you travel keep one eye over your shoulder).

Not to be melodramatic, but looking back, they were the best of times and the worst of times. Don’t expect to come back home and that anyone will understand, not your parents, not your best friends. Only people that have been where you’ve been, seen what you’ve seen.

Ten, twenty or thirty years from now however, you may be walking down the street and hear a song (probably Crosby, Stills and Nash) or smell something, all of a sudden you’ll be back there, you’ll see their faces. Is it a good thing? Sometimes. Is it a bad thing? Sometimes. But from here on out it will be part of you. If that’s not something that scares you, you can do this, it’s worth it.

Write back when you get a chance.

Love,

Uncle Jim

P.S. Feel free to pass this on to anyone over there who you think might need it.

No comments: